Easter is nearly upon us, and the Easter Bunny is known to visit many of our clients’ homes to hide Easter chocolates, which is very exciting for the humans in the family. However, spare a thought for our pets, especially if they decide to take it upon themselves to partake in the Easter egg hunt, or even choose to steal the already found Easter eggs, and indulge!
They don’t know that there is an ingredient in Chocolate that is toxic to them!! So we have to be extra vigilant and keep all chocolates out of our pets’ reach.
Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, which can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, heart palpitations, tremors and even seizures, and breathing difficulties. The darker the chocolate, the more concentrated the toxic components are.
If you do notice your pet has managed to get into the Easter egg stash, please take him or her to the vet as soon as possible. If eaten recently enough, we can induce vomiting to remove most of the chocolate from the stomach, and if necessary, we can provide more intensive treatment such as intravenous fluids and supportive medications.
For more information, please check out our “chocolate toxicity handout” in our “handy handouts” found on our website (hover your mouse on the Contact Details header to find the handout page), or contact our helpful, friendly team on 9527 2604.
The Cronulla Vet Clinic Team wish you all a very Happy Easter.